Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ebscohost

Diabetes:Advances is Treatment

This article tells of the new treatments coming out to help those with Diabetes. They say that there are new oral hypoglycemic agents that (along with some different lifestyle measures) has shown a 61% decrease in the development of type 2 diabetes. As far as type one goes, the article goes on to say that they are trying some new things like T-Cell immunomodulation therapy and beta cell regeneration. Unfortunately, other than that not much advancement has taken place for those with type one. This article is great because it tells you how the doctors diagnose diabetes. It goes in depth about the different things that make a person diabetic and tells about insulin treatments.

Cohen N.D., Shaw J. E.(2007).Diabetes:Advances in Treatment[Electronic Version]. Internal Medicine Journal, Vol. 37 Issue 6, p383-388. Retrieved October 6, 2009,
from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&
An=25150058&site=ehost-live.


Inhaled Insulin Arrives

I thought this article was extremely interesting because of the advancement of inhaled insulin that I did not even no existed until I read this article. It was designed, in the UK, for people who do not want to use needles. Apparently the device looks like an inhaler and is extremely complex to use and they said doctors will spend a lot of time talking to patients about how it works. The inhaler cannot be used for people who have a lung misfunction or in smokers. I thought this was a pretty cool break through in the new technological advances in this disease and I do not believe many people even know much about it yet.


Cressey Daniel (2006). Inhaled Insulin Arrives [Electronic version]. Pulse.Vol. 66 Issue 5, p8-8.
Retrieved October 6, 2009, from http://search.ebscohost.com
/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=19751532&site=ehost-live.

No comments:

Post a Comment